1. Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) for the academic year 2017-18 is going to be launched on 17th July, 2017. The online portal for the scheme is spdcindia.gov.in. The last date of submission of applications online is 30.09.2017.
2. As you are aware, SPDC is applicable to Children of NRIs/PIOs/OCIs in 66 countries for undergraduate programmes. The scheme is applicable to the following four categories:
a) Children of Persons of Indian Origin
b) Children of Non-Resident of Indians
c) Children of Indian workers working in ECR countries studying abroad &
d) Children of Indian workers in ECR countries – studying in India
3. Of 150 scholarships under SPDC, 50 are reserved for category (c) and (d) above.
4. To bring further clarity in the eligibility criteria, some changes have been made in the guidelines (attached) w.e.f 2017-18, which are mentioned below:
I. Children of Indians residing in Nepal will be eligible for SPDC on fulfillment of following two criteria:
* Both parents should be registered in the Mission/Post in Nepal for a minimum period of four years.
* The applicant has done at least four years schooling including two years of classes XI & XII in Nepal just prior to application.
II. Children of PIO/OCI/NRI who have not passed the qualifying examination (12th) from a foreign country except in the case of children of ECR country workers (category d above), are not eligible for SPDC.
III. Cut-off date to decide the NRI status is last date of the preceding financial year i.e. 31.03.2017.
IV. Applicants should attach the conversion scale so that grade achieved in qualifying exam (Grade 12th) could be converted into percentage of marks achieved, wherever required.
V. For income proof, in addition to the salary certificate from the employer, an undertaking that total monthly income of both the parents does not exceed US$ 4000 should also be uploaded in the SPDC portal.